Friday, September 24, 2010

Grammartalk 7HB, Page 2

"Bread and Eggs" Paul Cezanne, 1865



11.
A: How much lettuce did Henry buy at the store?
B: He only bought a little lettuce and only a few tomatoes.
A: How much milk did he buy?
B: He only bought a little milk and a few ounces of cheese.
A: How many cookies did he buy?
B: He only bought a few cookies. He also bought a little flour to make more cookies.

12.
A: The Johnsons are very tired after their trip.
B: Mrs. Johnson visited too many churches.
A: She visited so many churches, that now she has sore feet.
B: Betty Johnson ate too much bread.
A: She ate so much bread that her dress doesn’t fit anymore.
B: Sylvia Johnson bought too many expensive gifts.

!3.
A: The teacher taught too many lessons yesterday.
B: He taught so many lessons that he has a sore throat now.
A: Marcia studied too much yesterday.
B: She studied so much that she has a headache today.
A: What about Uncle Jim? He doesn’t feel too well either.
B: He drank so much last night that now he has a hangover.

14.
A: The doctor told me I’m too heavy.
B: Do you have to go on a diet?
A: Yes, I do. I have to lose about twenty-five pounds.
B: Do you have to eat fewer rich desserts?
A: Yes, and I have to eat less bread, fewer cookies, and fewer potato chips.
B: Can you drink milk?

15.
A: I can drink milk, but it has to be non fat milk.
B: How about cake? How about ice cream?
A: I have to eat less cake and less ice cream.
B: How about pancakes and french fries?
A: I have to eat fewer pancakes and fewer french fries.
B: You probably have to eat more fruits and vegetables.

16.
A: I had my yearly check up today.
B: What did the doctor say?
A: He told me I was too thin and I must gain some weight.
B: Do you have to start eating more potatoes?
A: Yes, I have to eat more potatoes than I did before.
B: I have a recipe for potatoes and cheese. It will help you put on some weight.

17.
A: I had my yearly checkup yesterday.
B: What did your doctor say?
A: He told me I had high cholesterol, and I must eat fewer fatty foods.
B: Do you have to stop eating butter?
A: Well, I can’t eat as much butter as I did before.
B: I suggest you use olive oil instead of butter.

18.
A: Mary had her yearly check up last week.
B: What did her doctor say?
A: He told her she had high blood pressure, and she must eat less sugar and salt.
B: Does she have to stop eating potato chips?
A: Well, she can’t eat as many potato chips as she did before.
B: She should eat more apples and asparagus.

19.
A: Mr. Jones, I’m really worried about your heart.
B: Really, Doctor? Should I stop eating rich desserts?
A: Mr. Jones, you must stop eating rich desserts.
B: But, I crave chocolate cake, especially on my birthday.
A: If you don’t quit eating cake, you’ll have problems with your heart some day.
B: All right, Doctor. I’ll try eating apple pie instead.

20.
A: Mrs. Parker, I’m really worried about your back.
B: Really, Doctor? Should I start doing exercises?
A: Madam, you must start doing many more exercises.
B: But, Doctor, I really hate doing those boring exercise routines.
A: No excuses! If you don’t exercise, your back problem will get worse.
B: All right, Doctor. I’ll try lifting weights once in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment